The JFR (Jim) McGeough Resource Recovery Facility accepts the following waste from households, Councils and commercial customers:
The classification of waste and the final charge (where applicable) is at the sole discretion of the weighbridge attendant.
Trailers are not to be unhooked for the unloading of material.
Visitors must obey all signs and official directions given by Transfer Station personnel.
All solid waste is accepted at the facility. No liquid waste or hazardous waste can be accepted.
A mixed waste pass can be used to dispose of general waste up to the value of the disposal cost of a small trailer of general waste. For items with a higher disposal cost, such as a small trailer of sand and rubble, this pass can be used as part payment.
Clean greenwaste can be accepted at a discounted disposal rate for processing into mulch. Clean greenwaste includes:
- Garden prunings (excluding lawn clippings).
- Tree stumps
Greenwaste must be free from rubbish and inorganic contaminants. Lawn clippings are not accepted.
Free recycling services for domestic recyclables are available at the JFR (Jim) McGeough Resource Recovery Facility for member Council residents for separated:
- Cardboard (flattened)
- Compact fluorescent lights
- Electronic waste (ONLY specified items - see list below)
- Household batteries (A, AA, AAA, C, D, button batteries, 6V & 9V)
- Lead acid batteries (cars and motorbikes)
- LPG gas bottles
- Mobile phones
- Motor oil (up to 20 litres or 20kg - please bring in containers)
- Plastic (recycling symbols 1-7) EXCEPT POLYSTYRENE
- Printer cartridges
- Scrap metal
There is no requirement to pay for waste disposal to take advantage of our free recycling services.
The WMRC only accepts domestic quantities of recyclables. Recyclables are unable to be accepted from businesses or commercial sources. The WMRC has a limited capacity for receival of plastics for recycling, and on some occasions may not be able to accept plastics for recycling due to logistic constraints.
The following items of E-waste are accepted:
- All Televisions and Computers
- Electronic components
- Network equipment
- Fax machines
- Electronic Game Consoles
Recycling at a fee is available for separated:
- Mattresses & ensembles
Residents are entitled to disposed up to 20 litres or 20 kilograms per material type of household hazardous waste FREE OF CHARGE at the JFR (Jim) McGeough Resource Recovery Facility. Items accepted are listed here
Problematic / Special Wastes
Special wastes are accepted on a fee for service basis for specialised disposal.
1. Asbestos must be presented by the customer in the following form:
Only cement bonded asbestos will be accepted at the transfer station. Fibrous loose asbestos
will not be accepted.
- Asbestos sheets must be wetted down before being wrapped.
- Securely double wrapped in polyethylene (black plastic) with no asbestos exposed or able to escape.
- No more than 1 sheet of asbestos in each bundle.
- No more than three sheets of asbestos per customer.
- Packaged so that it can be lifted by the customer. Customers should be prepared to do their own unloading.
2. Asbestos not meeting any of the above requirements will be refused entry, and the following actions taken:
- A photograph taken of the vehicle (including registration) and asbestos.
- The customer encouraged to return as soon as possible with the asbestos appropriately presented.
3. Customers will be required to unload the asbestos by hand onto a pallet or into a skip bin under the supervision of Transfer Station staff, taking care not to damage anything being delivered or already on the pallet or in the skip bin. Customers should be prepared to do their own unloading.